Wednesday 8 October 2014

Creative Writing Task - Article Prompt - 'Innocence'

So then first task of what is looking like a busy first year. The task was we had to find an article title that grabbed our attention then write a 300-600 word piece of fiction about it. And we weren't aloud to look at the actual article itself until we had finished our piece. 

I started looking for articles on Reddit and eventually found two that looked fun. The first prompted me to write what's below. 

'Woman shoots stalker after he kicks in her door, “I stood up for myself”" 

'Innocence'

"I stood up for myself". 

"I didn't want to kill him but I needed to protect myself".

She was wailing now. This was the forth time they had heard her side of the story and yet what no one could ever know. Was the story of the man laying face down in her hallway surrounded by his own blood. Blood which was beginning to pool around him, still trickling out of the door, onto the front step. And dripdrop, dripdrop. Sounding in the ear of those trying to work out what his side of the story was. 

He, the he in question. Lying filled with the heated metal from a .22. Was a known ex-lover of the woman screaming her innocence. 
"I think the lady doth protest too much"

A snide remark from a passing detective. Snide yet all too reasonable given the circumstances and the lack of knowledge she seemed to have on this supposed now stalker. 

"I don't know how long he's been following me but he was here tonight and I've seen him 
looking at me before"

"That's enough isn't it?" 

Her story goes as such: Ex boyfriend is upset with break up. Gets angry and begins to follow her around after said break up. Despite calling the police (no such calls are in the log of complaints) and the man understanding thus, he persists. So, logically, she arms herself. Takes her Father's pistol. He knocks on the door, she goes to answer. But, fear suddenly reverberating within her at the sound of his faulty engine still running outside. Checks who it is, "Leave me alone!". 

He knocks again.

Then again this time with his foot. Breaking each hinge of the door, she backs up down the hallway, getting the .22 from the phone table. Shooting him, once in the stomach and then the chest.  

This was a very fair story and one that was quite believable; the case was left to the side, all the evidence collected. It was an open and shut case, no? 

There were just a few issues that the detectives had.

"I'm innocent, I've already told you all you need to know" 

"Why are you still questioning me about this? I'm the victim here"

And as the judge clapped the gabble down, stating a guilty verdict and life imprisonment.
With fear building in her eyes. 

He explained "This sob story is all very well, but you failed. The man was shot in the back. He bled from 5 bullet wounds in his back all from close range. The door was not kicked open at all, your finger prints were on the key still hanging in the door."


She got scared it was the last time he would leave the door, so she made sure he never left it alive again. 

So there's the first post, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment